Bromberg Rosenthal LLC
  • Search
  • 301-251-6200

How can I get a child custody order modified?

For one reason or another, parents in Maryland may find that they need custody orders changed. These requests can come from either parent, custodial or non-custodial. At the end of the day, there will need to be a valid reason submitted in order for a judge to approve child custody modification requests.

Modifying a custody order is not always an easy task. In cases where parents both agree to the change, and it appears to be in the best interest of the child, getting a modification may prove rather simple. In cases where only one parent is wanting the modification, the situation can become far more complicated.

The parent requesting the custody change will be required to show why the modification is necessary and how it will benefit the child or children affected. There certainly are perfectly valid reasons to request a change, such as moves, career changes or home environment issues, among others. When a modification request is filed, the petitioning parent will need to give supporting evidence that the change is for the best. This may come in the form of expert testimony, proof of life changes or even a plan for how the modifications would impact the child for the better.

After a child custody modification request is filed, it will be up to the judge to determine if it should be granted. Being prepared to answer questions and show evidence that will support modification requests will be extremely helpful to Maryland parents who are seeking this kind of change. Legal counsel is available to assist parents in achieving custody orders and modifications that will best benefit their family's needs.

Source:, "Know the Laws: Maryland: Custody -- If a custody order is already in place, how can I get it changed?", Accessed on Nov. 3, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Begin Here

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy